1851 there was an industrial revolution taking place in America.
With the invention of the Iron Horse, transportation to land locked
areas was now moving at a fast pace. As goods and services were
needed by the major cities, train lines were being built to connect
outlying areas of the country to the metropolitan areas. The Town
of North East was no exception. With the Iron Foundries in our area
and the need for farm goods in New York City, a train line was extended
founding fathers, realizing the importance of what was taking place
in the country, knew that with the train line coming north that
changes were in the future for the Town of North East. They met
at the Wakeman House to discuss the impact on the community and
how it would improve life in the area. Alexander Trowbridge, John
Winchell, Walter Wakeman and Gov. Alexander Holly discussed the
founding of the Village. A plan was made as to the layout of the
main roads for the Village and the expansion that would follow.
one of the meetings a name was chosen for the new town that was
on the horizon. The civil engineer on the construction of the train
line was Sidney Miller. The founding fathers were so impressed with
this gentleman that they decided to name the new town after him,
so Millerton was born.
the next twenty-five years their dreams became a reality. The Village
of Millerton became a commercial center. Two additional train lines
came to Millerton, the Poughkeepsie Train connected the Village
to the Hudson River and the Central New England connected us to
points East through Connecticut. In the village, hotels were built
to accommodate the travelers and salesmen, shops opened to sell
all the wares that were available in the cities, Churches were built
and schools expanded. Millerton had come to life.